Poisoning the Fish We Eat

 

The lethal cycle of pollutants

Pollution that has been dumped into the environment, no matter whether it is in the air, the water or the land, ends up in the food chain eventually. There it can accumulate at high concentrations in apex predators such as sharks and tuna and in marine mammals such as dolphins, orcas and whales. It has been found that some orcas are now the most contaminated animals on earth.

This, of course, is a massive problem for the animals as they are suffering dramatic rises in devastating illnesses, such as nervous and digestive system problems, liver disease, reproductive malformations... the list goes on.

To read more about pollutants: BlueVoice.org
 

 
Polluting Fish2.jpg
 

 

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO HUMANs?

High doses of heavy metals, DDT, PCBs and a list of other poisons accumulate in our bodies as we consume fish that are high on the food chain. The accumulation continues each time you consume more fish, as our bodies cannot process these pollutants.

Mercury is a naturally occurring element that is found in air, water and soil. A highly toxic form (methylmercury) builds up in fish, shellfish and animals that eat fish. Fish and shellfish are the main sources of methylmercury exposure to humans.

To give you a short version of the implications to your health:

Mercury exposure at high levels can harm the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, and immune system. High levels of methylmercury in the bloodstream of unborn babies and young children may harm the developing nervous system, making the child less able to think and learn.

Symptoms of methylmercury poisoning may include impairment of peripheral vision; disturbances in sensations ("pins and needles" feelings); lack of coordination; impairment of speech, hearing, walking; muscle weakness, Ataxia, mental deterioration, muscle tremor, movement disorders, paralysis and death (with severe exposure).

 
Stefanie Brendl