Shark Allies is dedicated to inspiring protection and conservation of the ocean, its wildlife and its endangered species. One of our main goals is to dispel the widespread and deeply ingrained myths about sharks. We encourage all people to play an active role in the movement to protect sharks from the destructive practices of shark finning and unsustainable fishing. By protecting sharks, we protect the ocean. By protecting the ocean, we protect ourselves.
WE ACHIEVE OUR GOALS BY:
• Developing awareness and educational campaigns that reach a wide audience
• Mobilizing people from all backgrounds and walks of life—Shark Allies is inclusive, not exclusive
• Encouraging conservation though action-oriented initiatives
• Working in cooperation with organizations that are fighting to protect the ocean and its inhabitants
• Educating leaders and regulatory bodies about the plight of sharks and the trade of shark fins and meat, and encouraging them to increase protection of sharks
• Producing visual media such as PSA's and videos to raise awareness and highlight shark and ocean related issues. Initiating content and granting interviews for blogs, news outlets and social sites to inform the public on our projects and further education on conservation topics.
Humans and other animals are intricately connected to their environment. While our focus is not limited to sharks alone, it begins with these animals because of the critical role they play in the health of ocean ecosystems. Sharks can be thought of as the “guardians” of the ocean. By protecting sharks, we in turn become the guardians of the ocean.
We envision a future in which sharks are protected and understood not as something to be feared, but as the guardians of the ocean on which humans and all life depend.